|5/23/2018 8:12:00 AM|
Historic house open for tours
By Sue StaffordNational Historic Preservation Month wraps up next week, and the final event scheduled in Sisters is happening during Fourth Friday Art Stroll this Friday, May 25, 4 to 7 p.m., at the historic Hardy Allen house at 401 E. Main Ave.
The house, built in 1908, is the oldest remaining original Sisters structure and has been renovated by current owner Ali Mayea, who operates her Sisters HomeLand Realty out of the house.
During the art stroll, the house will be displaying the work of Western artist Len Babb, who will be available to meet the public. In honor of Historic Preservation Month, the Three Sisters Historical Society will be there with information about Hardy Allen and his house. Mayea will be offering tours of the house. The historical society will also have several framed photos of historic Sisters available for sale. Hors d'oeuvres will be provided.
Allen's parents, Cyrus Albert and Margaret Syrilda (Caldwell) Allen were part of the ill-fated Meek party in 1845, with Albert's father, Hardy's grandfather, taking charge of the party after they were deserted by Meek in present-day Lake County. Grandfather led the group north to the Willamette Valley where they settled in Polk County. Albert joined Polk County's Company A, led by Charles LaFollette, that was responsible for establishing Camp Polk in 1865 before returning to the westside in 1866.
Albert and Margaret moved to Central Oregon in 1868, settling in Prineville, where Hardy was born April 13, 1874, one of the first white children born in the territory now comprising Crook County. He moved with his family in 1880 to The Dalles where he received his education.
Hardy returned to Central Oregon at the age of 23 in 1897. He established a homestead near the mouth of the Metolius River where he raised cattle. He and Daisy Belle Davidson (of Wasco County) were married in 1900. Hardy and Daisy moved into Sisters in 1905 where they bought a hotel and then opened a blacksmith shop. They also retained their ranch and about 100 head of cattle for a time. Hardy and Daisy had one child, Harold, in 1902.
In 1908 Hardy and Daisy built their house on the corner of Main Avenue and Fir Street. As the automobile gained popularity and there was less demand for blacksmithing, in 1920 Hardy transformed his shop into a garage. He did continue to provide needed blacksmithing services to his longtime customers. He constructed the door of the town jail, using spokes from old buggy wheels for the bars.
Hardy and Daisy continued to prosper, remaining important citizens in the life of the community for the rest of their lives. Hardy died November 26, 1954 at the age of 80. Daisy died in 1959 at the age of 84. They are buried in the Redmond Memorial Cemetery.
In the 1980s the Allen house was scheduled for demolition, but was saved by moving it two blocks to its present location on the corner of Main and Larch. In recent times it has been home to two florist shops and now houses Mayea's real estate office. It underwent one renovation in 1990 and another by Mayea, who carefully incorporated historically accurate lighting and other features.
Article Comment Submission Form