Fire destroyed a Sisters home over the weekend. photo courtesy Sisters-Camp Sherman RFPD
Fire destroyed a Sisters home over the weekend. photo courtesy Sisters-Camp Sherman RFPD
A fire broke out in the wee hours of Sunday, December 20. Firefighters with the Sisters-Camp Sherman Rural Fire Protection District (RFPD) responded to a structure fire early Sunday morning in Sisters. The fire was reported at 2:14 a.m. at 925 E. Ranch Ave. The home is owned and occupied by Janet Pray of Sisters.

According to the Sisters-Camp Sherman RFPD, Pray told firefighters that she was awakened by her dog and found a fire burning on the exterior of her home near the garbage can.

“It just shot straight up,” Pray told The Nugget.

The fire was extending to the garage and eaves of the home. Pray went next door and called 911.

First arriving firefighters found the garage to be fully engulfed in flames, and the fire had spread to the attic of the home. Firefighters extinguished the fire in the garage and attic, and personnel entered the structure to prevent the flames from extending into the living area. The living area of the home sustained extensive damage from smoke and extreme heat.

Twenty firefighters and five fire engines responded to the fire, including firefighters from Cloverdale and Black Butte Ranch Fire Districts. Deputies with the Deschutes County Sheriff’s office and Central Electric also responded to the fire. Firefighters remained on the scene for three hours.

According to the Sisters-Camp Sherman Fire Department, the cause of the fire appears to be hot ashes discarded into the garbage can.

There were no injuries reported. The home is not habitable after the fire, fire officials reported.

Pray told The Nugget that she is staying with family.

“I’m getting a lot of help right now,” she said.

She said she planned to re-enter the home soon to “see what is retrievable.”

“My immediate needs — I’m pretty darn good right now.”

She noted that her dog has five-month-old puppies that need a home.