Dr. M. Lindsay Simmons III, 86, of Sisters, died in the comfort of his home on January 30. He was the son of Eva Corrinn Van Winkle and Mosby Lindsay Simmons Jr., as well as stepfather, Henry Woodard, who helped raise him from age 9. Dr. M. Lindsay Simmons III (Lindsay) was born June 6, 1934 in Chicago, Illinois, and raised in Cincinnati, Ohio.

He will be sorely missed by the many family members and friends that had the pleasure of knowing him.

Lindsay is preceded in death by his three stepsiblings, Phyllis Shear, Hank Woodard, and Margaret Mack, and their spouses.

He is survived by his loving wife of 30 years, Jayne, and by his grateful children and stepchildren: son, Mosby Lindsay Simmons IV and his wife, Erin (San Jose, California); daughter, Jennifer Corrinn Simmons and husband, Jason Fenner (West Sacramento, California); stepson, Conrad Kiefer and wife, Cary (Sisters); and stepson, Bruce Kiefer and wife, Jessie (Sisters).

He is also survived by his sister, Marilyn Wedig, and her husband Hank (Cincinnati, Ohio), and sister, Margaret Magill, and preceded by Margaret’s husband Paul (Dayton, Ohio).

Lindsay leaves behind three grandchildren, eight step-grandchildren, three step-great-grandchildren, many nieces and nephews, and Margy Spencer of Davis, California, a former wife.

Lindsay served honorably in the Army, discharged in 1957, and honorably in the Air Force, discharged in 1963. He received his BA in physics at Denison University, 1958, an education administration certificate at Miami University, his Masters in Education at University of Cincinnati, 1963, and his Doctor of Philosophy in Education at University of Illinois, 1972.

Lindsay lived in Arcata, California from 1972 to 1995, where he taught at Humboldt State University in the education and forestry departments. He attended Christ Episcopal Church in Eureka, California, later St. Alban’s Episcopal Church in Arcata, California, and upon moving to Sisters, the Episcopal Church of the Transfiguration. He was very active in all of them.

He was a member of the SW Rotary, Kiwanis, and Ingomar Clubs, as well as an active member of the Humboldt Amateur Radio Club (callsigns KD6EB and KD7EB). He sang for many years in the California Redwoods Chorale and all church choirs, traveling many times to Europe to perform. Music was always a huge part of his life.

Upon retiring from teaching, he started his own business distributing and selling wood-finish products. In 1996, he moved with his wife, Jayne, and two step-children to Sisters, where he apprenticed at Beacham’s Clock Company and opened Schoolhouse Produce in Redmond in 2008.

Despite his business ventures, apprenticeships, and volunteering, he still found time to travel extensively via trailer, create stained glass, was a skilled woodworker, and always sang and enjoyed pipe organ music wherever he went.

Memoriams can go to the Episcopal Church of the Transfiguration, Sisters, or to Sisters Historical Society.