The girls lacrosse team defeated Bend United 7-6 on Thursday, March 21 — the first win in over five years against the tough Bend squad.

It was a battle the entire way, with the score going back and forth, tied for most of the contest.

Skylar Wilkins got the Outlaws on the scoreboard first, when she wrapped the crease and scored off a shovel-shot, which is a low shot back into the net. She scored her second shot with a ball into the left side of the goal from four meters out.

Ellie Cook scored mid-way through the first half when she came from behind the crease, dodged, and then bounced the ball into the lower-left corner of the net from just inside the eight-meter arc.

Bend knocked balls into the net also, and at the half it was tied up 3-3.

In the second half, Cook scored with about seven minutes left in the game. She broke away from the midfield, dodged defenders, and bounced the ball between the goalie’s legs to put the Outlaws on top 6-5.

Bend didn’t let up and tied it back up 6-6. With just seven seconds left on the clock, Wilkins scored the game-winning goal. Pearl Gregg fed Wilkins the ball, and Skylar sent a shot through the defense and the goalie into the bottom-right corner, which cleared just by inches, for the


Wilkins said, “We were all hugging and jumping, but we had to rein in because there were still seven seconds left in the game. When it was over we all just screamed and hollered and were so happy we’d won. We all hugged Reece, our sub goalie, and congratulated her. Reece was just so powerful and great at clearing the ball. She just kicked butt, and I think she was the one who really won the game

for us.”

Wilkins led the Outlaws’ scoring effort with three goals, Cook tallied two, and Sydney Head and Mary Root each added one.

Cook said, “Our team connected super-well. We have improved a lot from our first game, especially passing and catching. Today we were definitely fast and got a lot of our goals on fast breaks. And Reese was so good in the goal! She never shied away from the ball.”

Reece Harwell commented on her first varsity experience in the goal.

“It was nerve-wracking at first, being in all that gear, but I got used to it,” said Harwell. “I got in the groove and just stepped in front of the balls and tried to block them. I couldn’t let fear stop me from doing what I love. Even when they did make a goal, I just tried to stay positive and tell myself I’d get the next stop.”

Coach Shelby Wilcox told The Nugget that it was an outstanding performance from the entire team.

“Everyone showed up and gave 100 percent, and it truly was a team effort,” said Wilcox. “It was simply amazing, and I am very proud.”